Saturday, August 14, 2010

We Love "Poovies"

Mommy loves them because she hides goodies inside: spinach, green beans, flaxmeal, plain yogurt, carrots, etc. They're also easy snacks to tide us over when I'm not sure what or when we'll be eating a meal.

Noah and Aaron love them because they're sweet and drink like a milkshake. Between his nap and our trip to the county fair, Noah stood in the kitchen and drank his entire smoothie in about 3 minutes. Gotta love a salad in a cup!

My Typical Smoothie

frozen strawberries
orange juice
plain yogurt
flaxmeal (very fine powder)
vegetables
fruits (fresh, frozen, or canned)

Four Keys to Success:
1) I have a $20 blender so I use lots of babyfood vegetables (though fresh spinach works fine) and must include a liquid or it won't blend.
2) Berries and OJ cover a multitude of greens; other fruits/juices don't quite do the job.
3) Taste test as you go. Don't just throw it all in and hope for the best. Start with the basics and then taste after each addition to make sure it's still in the right neighborhood.
4) Never include grapefruit. I tried it. Trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Adventures in a Pandemic

Our area shut down one year ago, and it's best I didn't know how long it would last. Friends from Kansas were visiting and heard the...