Sunday, September 7, 2008

Tapping the Language Barrier

Noah is communicating, and I LOVE it! I LOVE it. I LOVE IT!!

About two months ago, I got positive confirmation that he can understand me. I was on the phone with an automated customer service voice which asked me a yes/no question. I answered with a firm, "No." Then I happened to look in Noah's direction; he had turned around and was staring at me with a worried look on his face. I quickly reassured him that he'd done nothing wrong, regretting that I'd inadvertantly "cried wolf" but thrilled that he understood me at all.

In the last month, this understanding has led to more attempts on his part. He crawls to my feet and stares up at me when he wants food/drink. He puts his forehead on my leg when he's ready for a nap.

Whenever we walk near the pond in our neighborhood, he exclaims with wonder at the fountain. He occassionally repeats monosyllabic words (door, go, book), and his babble in general has taken on a more linguistic sound. Just this weekend, he even started using the signs for "more please" and "all done" consistently. It's fantastic.

Probably my greatest frustration as a mother has been the not knowing - what's wrong, why is he crying, does something hurt, is he tired? His budding communication skills not only solve this problem - they also introduce me to a sweet new person that I'm dying to know.

Interestingly, Noah is also more cuddly and clingy than before - I assume all part of his growing awareness of relationships (and perhaps God's way of trying to compensate for the fact that he's no longer nursing?). Thankfully, he still transitions well to babysitters, bed, and the church nursery. I'm just praying that particular skill sticks around.

1 comment:

  1. In about a year, when you know that he CAN tell you things, but will still occasionally resort to screaming/nonverbal expressions of his emotion, he will drive you crazy. Of course, it happens particularly when they're tired or hungry.

    Fortunately, it's a relatively short-lived period with most kids. I love that stage he's at now -- the first really meaningful words. Soon he will have new ones every day. You will love it!!

    ReplyDelete

Adventures in a Pandemic

Our area shut down one year ago, and it's best I didn't know how long it would last. Friends from Kansas were visiting and heard the...