Did you know there's such a thing as "geriatric pregnancy"? And no, we're not talking science-fiction 60-year-olds giving birth. If you're due at 35 years or older, you're of "advanced maternal age." Doesn't that just give you the warm fuzzies?
But really, WHO CARES, because it comes with one giant perk: genetic testing at 10 WEEKS. They took a blood sample and called me 10 days later to say 1) our risk is low for chromosomal issues, and 2) it's a...
Me: Wait. What did you say?
Her: It's a girl.
Me: I have three boys. Are you sure?
Her: Yes. It's definitely a girl.
Me: OH MY GOODNESS. I didn't know we could do that! Oh my goodness. (crying now) It's a girl??!
Her: Yes. (smiling, I could hear it)
I immediately texted Josh to meet him for lunch; he had no clue why. Then my mom texted "out of the blue" to see if we knew the gender yet (How does she know these things?). She agreed to stop by with Dad after dinner, which just goes to show her mad patience skilz. Then I drove downtown with my heart racing.

Josh found me on the first floor of his building in the Barnes & Noble kid section, buying Angelina Ballerina and Olivia board books. One look and he said, "Wait, do you know something?"
YES! I SURE DO!
We celebrated with Bread & Co. and PINK cake pops at Starbucks. I never liked pink so much as I do now. Still.
Then I headed for Publix. I had called before lunch, asking for a cake with no pink on the outside and all pink/strawberry inside. At first, the girl on the phone was annoyed: You want what? But then I explained the purpose, and she got. into. it. When I showed up at the bakery counter, she took one look at me and said, "You the GIRL?"
Then I drove home and started foraging for clothes. I'd considered stopping to buy a baby tutu, but I remembered my recent closet clean-out: Wasn't there a baby dress from my childhood that I just couldn't bear to lose...? Yes. Yes there was...
But first, our boys had to know. Josh got home from work, I squirmed my way through dinner, and then we asked them,What do we still need to find out about the baby? (boy or girl?)
What do you think it will be? (boy, boy, boy)
Want to find out? (Yes!)
Want to eat cake? (duh)
We pulled the cake out of the box, and they're chanting "blue! blue! blue!" and I'm videoing and thinking, This could go south so fast...
But then Noah started the first cut and erupted:
"It's PINK! It's a girl! It's a GIRL!!"
And we all had a party. Right there. "It's a GIRL!"
Mom and Dad arrived soon after, and then I started texting...
The responses were so fun... (here's just a sample)
But the best was yet to come. Josh came home from work the next day with a giant bouquet of roses...
Me: Wow! Thank you! Look at those!
Him: They're for the girl!! I was looking for the most PINK I could find!
Me, guffawing: Awww. You are the sweetest! (cannot contain the laughter)
Him, smiling: Thanks?
Me: You're the best daddy! I love it! That's awesome! You are awesome. And SO adorable!!
Him, smiling but not knowing why: Um...Thanks...What's so funny?
This...
...for our baby girl. :) :) :)
She is gonna be SO loved.






No comments:
Post a Comment