| How we watch the Olympics |
Claudia: "On Wednesday. Here's the plan. Listen carefully."
Jamie: "Make it complicated, Claude. I like complications."
-- From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
I get this about Jamie, I really do. Complications keep life interesting. A simple life can be a boring life. It's probably one of the reasons we had children -- several of them. And it must be the part of me that wants a dog. #gluttonforpunishment I want life to be an adventure (see pics to the right 😆), and adventures don't come from ease and simplicity.
But this week, the complications have felt more like a giant jigsaw puzzle than an adventure. I have been weighed down by the feeling that no one knows my kids as well as I do or understands their strengths and needs and circumstances as I do. Which means it's up to me to figure out what -- if anything -- should be done on each front.
![]() |
| Porch life |
A mentor once told me, "Be a student of your children." As my kids have grown and their personalities and social relationships have become more complex, I see the wisdom in her advice -- the necessity, really. I am not a helicopter parent (see When We Have to Helicopter), but I am the only adult in a position to notice patterns or problems across my kids' spheres (home, school, church, sports, and year-to-year, season-to-season).
| Just one of the boys... #babygirl |
At first, this freaked me out a little. What if I didn't happen to go to that lunch? How far would it have gone??
But then I remembered something else: I didn't "just happen" to do anything. And I'm not the only one who knows my kids inside and out. Their futures are not actually on my shoulders.
I've been a Christian for HOW LONG and I still forget that God calls himself our parent? Which means He is also their parent. Their loving and all-knowing parent. The one who really is responsible for their development. When I have to lean in, He is right there with me.
| I spy the cutest fish ever! |
I find it hard to keep that truth in mind, so I decided to type out some of the related verses/promises (from The Message paraphrase) here, in hopes they get a little deeper into my brain.
Isaiah 40:11 "He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young."
![]() |
| Rock-a-bye baby... |
Matthew 6:26-30 "Look at the birds, free and unfettered...careless in the care of God. And you count far more to him than birds...Walk out into the fields and look at the wildflowers. They never primp or shop, but have you ever seen color and design quite like it? ...If God gives such attention to the appearance of wildflowers—most of which are never even seen—don’t you think he’ll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you?"
| Exercising with me |
Ephesians 3:15-20 "I ask him to strengthen you by his Spirit—not a brute strength but a glorious inner strength—that Christ will live in you as you open the door and invite him in. And I ask him that with both feet planted firmly on love, you’ll be able to take in with all followers of Jesus the extravagant dimensions of Christ’s love. Reach out and experience the breadth! Test its length! Plumb the depths! Rise to the heights! Live full lives, full in the fullness of God. God can do anything, you know—far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams! He does it not by pushing us around but by working within us, his Spirit deeply and gently within us."


No comments:
Post a Comment